Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Cake Balls

Once a month I go to a little cooking group to taste and exchange recipes. This months topic was deserts. I've seen these cake balls all over and I've actually tried them one other time and wasn't completely sold on them, but I thought I'd give them a second chance. This time they turned out much better. I think I've learned a few tricks and decided what I like and don't like. I'll give you the recipe and then tell you what I think works and doesn't work.

Any flavor cake mix
Any flavor frosting
Almond Bark or Candy Melts

Make cake according to instructions. Let cool completely. Add frosting and mix until completely incorporated. I think using your hands is the easiest and most efficient way. Wash hands. Then you can either you a cookie scoop or your hands, I used my hands. Shape into 1 inch balls. Put into freezer for about 3 hours or refrigerator for several hours. This is where I get kinda picky. According to Bakerella.com you can use chocolate or vanilla almond bark. I've tried both and was not a fan of the chocolate. I think if you want a chocolate covering you need to use chocolate candy melts. You can get those at any cooking store like Gigi's or I think there's a store in Orem called Funfinity. To me the chocolate almond bark is waxy and doesn't have a very good chocolate flavor. Another trick with the almond bark, if you do it in the microwave, you can only do about half of it at a time. It starts to get hard by the time your half way done and then it doesn't work, so only do half at a time. The best way is probably to use a double boiler, but do what works for you. Don't let these things scare you, it's really not that difficult. There are so many fun things you can do with these. If you want more ideas on these check out bakerella.com, she is full of of fun ideas for these.

Before
After

1 comment:

  1. Those look super tasty! I have always wanted to make these. Thanks for the tips on the chocolate.

    ReplyDelete