Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Braided Chicken Crescent

Before you look at all the pictures and assume this is a hard recipe let me tell you it's actually super easy and turns out looking and tasting really good. The original of this recipe had a lot of crazy things in it that didn't seem appealing to me at all; like mayo, craisins, dill, and almonds. The combination of these just didn't appeal to me and my family's taste buds so I came up with this recipe. I hope you enjoy the changes!

2 c. chicken, cooked and diced
1 c. finely chopped broccoli
1 red bell pepper chopped
1/4 c. minced onion
1 minced garlic clove
1 1/2-2 cans cream of chicken
2 pkgs. refrigerated crescent rolls
1 egg white beaten

Unroll crescent rolls on a greased baking sheet into a large rectangle, pinching seems to form single sheet of dough. Combine first 6 ingredients. Add only enough cream of chicken to make moist, not soupy. Spread chicken down the center of crescents length wise. On longest sides cut one inch strips towards the middle and chicken mixture. Fold strips over chicken mixture alternating strips from each side. Brush with egg white. Bake at 375 for 25 minutes of until browned on top. Ok so I know that probably sounded like jibberish so I hope these pictures help the confusion.
Crescent rolls in one long sheet

Chicken mixture poured down the center-I went a little crazy on the broccoli so it's kind of piled on there

Sides cut in 1 inch strips and braided over chicken mixture

Voila! Yes I realize half of it is gone my husband had to go to work, but you get the point.

2 comments:

  1. I tried a recipe like this a few weeks ago, but I only used 1 can of cream of chicken, broccoli, and chicken. It didn't cook all the way though. I might have to try it again. I think it would be good with pizza stuff inside too or even like a fruit mixture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah there is actually it's called a strombolli. Just use the Pillsbury pizza crust in the tube and put pizza stuff in it. Was the dough not cooked or the broccoli? If it was just the broccoli, it just needs to be cut up smaller, and if it's the dough it may need a hotter temp. Also I bet if you used like a pastry dough and maybe a cream cheese and powdered sugar combo it might be really good. Maybe we'll have to make up our own recipe:)

    ReplyDelete