Sunday, March 7, 2010

Turkey Stuffin' Meatloaf

I found this recipe in Rachael Ray's Yum-O recipe book. If you know Rachael Ray, then you'll know that the Yum-O recipes are meals specially made for kids. Besides being kid approved they're suppose to be healthy as well which is always a bonus in my book. I've really been pleasantly surprised with the recipes in this book. Her food always looks really good and simple, but sometimes almost so simple that I wonder if it has much flavor, if that makes sense. That and the fact that she tends to use ingredients that I just never would buy. Although most of these recipes included things that I don't usually use, I thought I would still give it a try. This specific recipe uses ground turkey which I've only used two times prior. The first time turned out great, the second time on the other hand was a complete failure, so much so that I had to throw the whole meal out because I couldn't even gag it down. I'm not really sure why the difference all I knew was that I didn't feel like trying it ever again..until now, and thank goodness this turned out really good. The best part of this recipe is that it is one of her rollover meals, meaning that you cook enough for leftovers to make another meal the following day. So if all works out tomorrows dinner will be as good as tonight's:)


2 T EVOO- extra virgin olive oil-or just regular veg. oil
6 T. butter
1 large onion
5-6 celery ribs from the heart, leaves included (I always buy just the celery hearts, it's the best part of the celery, and the leaves have the most flavor)
1 bay leaf
salt and pepper
1 16 oz stuffing cubes such as Pepperidge Farm (I couldn't find these so used corn bread stove top, but use whichever you can find or like best)
2 T. poultry seasoning- I didn't use this since I used stove top, so don't feel like you can't make it without using this
6 c. chicken stock (I just use chicken bouillon granules and water to make stock)
3 lbs. ground turkey-I think I used Tyson's Honeysuckle
2 eggs

Melt butter with oil and saute onions, celery, and bay leaf. Season with salt and pepper. Cook until tender, about 10 minutes. Add stuffing cubes and 4 c. stock (if using stove top I would cut this down to 2 1/2-3 c. stock.) Discard bay leaf. Place in bowl and let cool. Add turkey and eggs. Mix until incorporated with stuffing. Cook in two well greased meat loaf pans. Drizzle with EVOO or if your like me and ran out I just put a little butter on top just so it doesn't try out. Cook at 400 for 45 minutes or until done. For gravy melt 4 T. butter in a small saucepan. Whisk in 1/4 c. of flour and cook for 3-4 minutes. Add 2 c. chicken stock and cook another 6-7 minutes until thickened. The second meatloaf and half the gravy will be used for tomorrows dinner, otherwise I guess you get meat loaf for 2 days.

No comments:

Post a Comment