Wednesday, August 11, 2010

A-Mazing Coconut Bread

So again I didn't get a chance to take a picture of this before it was all gone:( I brought this to my cooking group this month, the theme was favorite recipe and this recipe quickly came to mind. I'm not sure if you can even consider this "bread" it's closer to a cake because it's super sweet. This is no different than making a banana bread, except you pour a sugar glaze over the top and allow to sit for 3 hours (trust me it's worth the wait I promise!!) Just be careful this stuff is super addicting and can be eaten too quickly to admit:) Enjoy!

4 eggs
2 c. sugar
1 c. oil
2 t. coconut extract
3 c. flour
1/2 t. salt
1/2 t. baking soda
1/2 t. baking powder
1 c. buttermilk-gotta go for the real stuff..I tried to substitute it yesterday and it didn't work nearly as well
1 c. coconut
1 c. chopped nuts - optional (we prefer it without and I actually like nuts, but it's just a preference)

Glaze
1 1/2 c. sugar
3/4 c. water
3 Tb. butter
1 t. coconut extract

Beat eggs in large bowl. Add sugar, oil, and coconut flavoring until mixed thoroughly. In separate bowl sift together flour, salt, baking soda, and baking powder. Add half of flour mixture to sugar and mix well. Add half your buttermilk to sugar mixture and mix. Repeat process until no more flour or buttermilk. Stir in coconut and nuts. Pour into 2 well greased bread pans. Bake at 325 for 40 minutes ( I had to cook mine closer to an hour, I'm not sure if that is based on my mom's oven or just the recipe so check it after 40 minutes if it's still really doughy cook another 15 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean) In a small saucepan bring the water, sugar, and butter to a boil stirring constantly until sugar is completely dissolved. Remove from heat and add coconut flavoring. Slowly pour over hot bread and allow to sit for 3-4 hours. Don't panic if it takes a minute to come out of the pan it's awfully sticky with all that sugary glaze:P

No comments:

Post a Comment